Thursday, June 25, 2009

Virgin Territory & The Absence Of A Soul

Today is forever etched in my mind.

Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson passed away today. Today, Gen X lost 2 icons. BUT that is not why today is special.

Today, we signed the lease for my restaurant. This is my virgin foray into the restaurant business. I am excited.

Though this is not the kind of cuisine I want to pander, it is a start. Being a newb, I have partnered a few people with a combined experience of more than 100 years. They have no management roles, just advisory.

Many immigrants to USA get into the restaurant business because they don't know how to do anything else. They sell bastardized food that passes off as ethic cuisine. Their only goal is the gold.

It is true that cuisine evolves. But when the soul of a cuisine is absent, can it still be classified as such? Does dressing an Irish in Chinese clothing make him Chinese?

Is teriyaki brisket still Texas BBQ even if you smoke it in a pit for 12 hours? So why are all those Tex-Mex rolls called Japanese just because they are wrapped in rice and seaweed?

As a business, I will sell what people want to eat. As a foodie, I will try to introduce new culinary experiences. In time, maybe expand the palates of my customers?

No matter what my product, my commitment is to quality!

*Addendum


Beat It - Michael Jackson

1 comment:

  1. Congrats, let's hope it turns out well!

    ReplyDelete