Sunday, May 8, 2011

Cultural Differences Or Rudeness?



You can take a person out the ghetto buy you can't take the ghetto out of a person. There are so many immigrants who can't seem to shake off their bad habits even after migrating to another country.

It's one thing to bring your culture, it's another to bring your bad habits. Once you migrate, you need to learn the polite culture of your host country.

I was at the craving station at Golden Corral getting some brisket. A Chinese woman jumped in next to me and told the cook she wanted "that piece". That was the piece the cook was going to give me. It was the fatty part of the brisket that I (and most Asian people) like. Maybe the cook probably thought she was with me and gave her the piece.

How do I know that she's Chinese? Because I'm of Chinese descent. From her speech, I can tell that she's from Fuzhou, China. As with every country, there are polite and rude people. Unfortunately, there seems to be more rude people in China than most develop countries. Same applies to many Asian countries, except for Japan.

Asian countries have a long way to go before evolving into a polite and graceful society.

Before we have an outcry, there are also both rude and polite people in western societies. I am comparing 1st world countries in general and not the psychotic fringes. If China wants to be a world leader, they need to develop their people. China is still a long way from being a 1st world country.

Many westerners may be surprised by this revelation because they think Asians are all smiley and friendly. But they probably only have superficial interaction with Asians. Aside from my disenchantment with the Singapore government, one of my other reason for migrating is the appalling state of Singapore's social culture. I just didn't want my kids growing up in that environment.

But it seems like I jumped out of the pan and into the fire. We went from socially inept people that we don't know to socially inept people we know. But that another story that we won't broach... for now.

There is a difference between culture and rudeness. Don't use cultural differences as a reason for being rude.

No comments:

Post a Comment